So with the intent of providing hard info, not speculation, I’ve read all of Weisman’s Spidey-related “Ask Greg” posts to date on the Station Eight Gargoyles website and all of his IGN interviews regarding the show.
I’ve assembled all the info I could find regarding his plans for The Spectacular Spider-Man. The info is listed and divided into three sections: characters, new villains, and series plans. You can follow the links provided to read it in Weisman’s own words.
Hit the jump to see the list of potential content for season 3 and beyond.
- Spider-tracers would have eventually been introduced
- How Spider-Man's web-shooters were invented would have eventually been revealed in a “major storyline"
- Weisman would have liked to introduce the Spider-Mobile in season 3 or 4
- Weisman had plans for Peter's parents
Mary Jane Watson
- Mary Jane and Peter would have eventually been married
- Flash would have been developed further
- Peter and Flash’s boxing match from The Amazing Spider-Man #8 is something Weisman would have liked to adapt
Betty Brant and Ned Lee
- Betty Brant's and Ned Lee’s relationship would “have been important in season three"
- Curt would have been in Florida and working on a cure for Electro in season 3
- A planned direct-to-DVD Spring Break movie would have been set in Florida
- Black Cat (Felicia Hardy) and Spider-Man’s relationship would have been very fraught after the reveal that her father, the Cat Burglar (Walter Hardy), killed Uncle Ben
- Eddie's placement in Ravencroft would have featured in a season 3 storyline
- The gene cleanser Peter used on Venom didn’t actually affect Venom
- The Globulin drug’s inconclusive effects could have possibly created a “more sympathetic public image” for Norman in the wake of his outing as the Green Goblin
- Norman mentoring Peter would have had “long-term implications"
- Norman wouldn't have acquired government status or power in the short-term
- Plans involving Emily would have been executed in season 3 in the wake of Norman’s absence
- Due to Harry’s doping, the high school's football championship would have been under review in season 3
- Roderick likely has a twin brother
- Roderick's first appearance in Spectacular Spider-Man #43 influenced the decision to make him a perfume company owner rather than a fashion designer, and this decision was tied into long-term plans
- Tombstone and Robbie Robertson’s relationship would have been developed
- Silver Sable would have eventually become more like “Sable from the comics"
- Like all the other supporting characters, Hammerhead’s chauffeur was a specific character from the comics
Kraven the Hunter
- Plans for Kraven were connected to John Jameson
- Kraven’s transformation would have been important in the long-term
- Calypso’s character would have been explored further
- Confirmed for season 3
- Confirmed for season 3
- Confirmed to eventually appear
By the end of season 2, the following civilian characters had been introduced:
- Morris Bench
- Hobie Brown
- Stan Carter
- Mac Gargan
- Cletus Kasady
- Roderick Kingsley
- Miles Warren
In the comic book source material, these characters respectively take on the alter egos of Hydro-Man, the Prowler, Sin-Eater, Scorpion, Carnage, Hobgoblin, and the Jackal, respectively.
When asked what villains would eventually appear, Weisman has said that some "are obvious, given the fact that we had already introduced them in their civilian identities." And given the series' propensity for faithfulness to the comics, it’s not a stretch to imagine that most of the characters listed above would have eventually become their respective villains. Weisman implies as much when speaking about specific characters in some quotes seen below (which is somewhat speculative of me to say).
Weisman, regarding Miles Warren:
“Someone asked me about clones and stuff at Comic-Con at our panel, and I'll just say what I think is pretty obvious, which is that we brought Miles in… If we brought Miles in… I don't do anything by accident. And without going into any details or specifics, if we brought Miles in, then we have plans for Miles – long term plans. What those plans are is obviously influenced by what Miles has done in the comics.” (IGN, Inside Spidey's Web: "Identity Crisis," 31 July 2009)
Regarding Miles Warren and Cletus Kasady:
A fan asked if they had plans to explore the "Ben Riley" storyline. "Well, we've got Miles Warren," Weisman smirked. "We didn't put him in there for nothing." Weisman gave a similar answer to a fan who asked about an appearance of Carnage. "Well we put Cletus Kasady in so…" (IGN, SDCC 09: Hulk and Capt. America Planned for Spidey, 28 July 2009)
Regarding Stan Carter:
IGN: Stan Carter and Jean DeWolff have been peripheral characters, but you had an interesting little moment here where Stan talks about wishing Spider-Man went further with his treatment of criminals. Was it fun to get that little hint at Stan's Sin-Eater future in there?
Weisman: Yeah. We're trying to play the characters consistent. As with many of our characters – we talked about this before – we extrapolate backwards. We know who they wind up being, from the comics. Where did they start? So we know who Jean DeWolff is going to be down the road, and we know who Stan Carter is going to be. (IGN, Inside Spidey's Web: "Probable Cause," 20 October 2009)
- Could have possibly appeared in episodes following the gang war
- Weisman found the character appealing
- Weisman would have liked to do a musical episode
- The show would have featured "a different variation on the [Sinister] Six each season"
- Weisman hoped to do “65 episodes that take Pete through his high school graduation” and then “continue to do DVDs telling stories of his college years”
- Some direct-to-DVD movies Weisman wanted to do included a “Spring Break movie between Season Two and Season Three, set in Florida,” as well as movies between season 3 and 4 and between season 4 and 5 - if the movies weren’t approved, their stories would have either been incorporated into the high school seasons or additional seasons
If you have any additions or corrections, please let me know!